INDIANAPOLIS (May 20, 2015) –The Indianapolis 500 Race, related festivities and Memorial Day holiday will have significant impacts on IndyGo local bus service, interrupting service in the downtown area and west side of Indianapolis.
Street closures will also impact on-time performance for scheduled bus service. IndyGo reminds passengers to allow extra time for travel this Memorial Day weekend.
IPL 500 Festival Parade – Saturday, May 23
The IPL 500 Festival Parade on Saturday, May 23 will close several streets in the downtown area from 4 a.m. to 6 p.m. resulting in bus stop closures on:
- Ohio St. from Delaware St. to Illinois.All routes will continue to serve Capitol Ave. at Market St. Riders using Routes 3, 5, 8 and 10 can use Ohio St. at Capitol Ave. for service in both directions.
- Meridian St. from 30th St. to Ohio St. Routes 18, 38 and 39 will use Capitol Ave. for inbound service south of 30th and Illinois St. for outbound service south of 21st
- Pennsylvania St. from 16th St. to Ohio St. Route 19 will use Alabama St. at 16th for inbound service and outbound routing will not be impacted.
Indianapolis 500 – Sunday, May 24
IndyGo does not offer service to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on race day. Additionally, IndyGo routes 3, 5, 10, 15, 37 and 38 will experience service interruptions due to street closures. Passengers should prepare for the following service changes on Race Day:
- Route 3: All stops on Michigan Street, west of Michigan Plaza will be closed.
- Route 5: 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. there will be no service north of 25th Street and Harding Street.
- Route 10:
- 6:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. there will be no service north of 10th Street and Lynhurst to High School Road and Westhaven.
- 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. there will be no service from Eskenazi to Gateway and High School Roads.
- Route 15:
- 6:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. All stops closed from Cold Spring Road to 34th Street and High School Road. If traveling to the end of the line outbound, route 15 will service 38th
- 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. All stops closed outbound from 27th Street and MLK to High School and Gateway Roads.
- Route 37: All stops closed from West Street and Michigan Street to Lafayette Road and 38th
- Route 38: 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. All stops closed from Shore Terrace Drive and Eagles Way to Cold Spring Road.
Maps of reroutes are available here. Buses will make regular service stops along detour route. Planned detours may change without notice due to unanticipated closures.
Memorial Day – Monday, May 25
In observance of Memorial Day, IndyGo operations will use a modified schedule:
- Local Fixed Route Service: Operating on a Sunday schedule
- Open Door Paratransit Service: Operating on a Sunday schedule
- Customer Service Call Center: Closed
- Customer Service Retail Center: Closed
- Administrative Office: Closed
If a route does not offer Sunday service, then no service will be available on Memorial Day.
In addition to impacts to the fixed route bus network, IndyGo’s Open Door passengers may encounter street closures and could also see delays and longer travel times. Passengers who are qualified to use the Open Door service and are wishing to book a paratransit trip to or from an area affected by street closures may speak with a reservationist to determine if the origin or destination address is accessible to IndyGo vehicles.
The trip planner at IndyGo.net and route information on Google Maps will not reflect these temporary detours and schedule changes. IndyGo Customer Service is available by phone at 317.635.3344 Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Service updates available online at IndyGo.net.