INDIANAPOLIS — IndyGo is preparing for the upcoming winter season, where heavy snow and ice accumulation are possible at times. The agency wants to remind riders of winter weather-ready transit riding tips as they plan to ride with us.
IndyGo always encourages riders to plan ahead and take the following precautions when traveling during the cold weather months:
- Wear warm, highly visible clothing, so you can be spotted at a bus stop.
- Layer clothing to ensure warmth and wear a coat, hat, gloves and scarf to reduce exposure to cold temperatures.
- Allow for extra travel time to and from your destination. Plan for delays due to bad road conditions.
- Be extra careful and watch your step. Snow and ice can make sidewalks, steps and bus floors slippery. Hold onto the railing when boarding and exiting the bus.
- Buses may experience travel difficulties getting to residential areas and side streets. If you’re traveling from these places, you may need to use a different stop. Riders can plan their trips using Google Maps, the Transit app or by visiting our website at https://www.indygo.net/plan-your-trip/.
- Contact IndyGo’s Customer Care Center at 317.635.3344 for real-time bus arrivals and information on detours. Expect longer wait times on the phone due to heavy call volumes that come with bad weather. Click here for Care Center hours.
- Detours and route delays can also be found on the IndyGo Rider Alerts Twitter page here. Real-time alerts are available when you text ##### (Five digit stop ID) to (463) 208-4344.
Additionally, IndyGo encourages business owners and residents to keep their sidewalks clear of snow and ice to make passage to bus stops safe for all pedestrians.