*All Open Door materials are available in various formats, including Braille, Spanish, and large print. Please contact Customer Service (317.635.3344).*
Schedule Your Ride
Call Open Door Reservations (317.917.8747)
- Monday – Friday, 6:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Saturday and Sunday, 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM
You must call 1 – 3 days in advance of your trip to make an Open Door reservation.
The following information is required:
- First and last name.
- Date you want to travel.
- Address of both your pick-up and drop-off location which includes:
- Number address
- Street name
- Suite and/or apartment number, entry code for any security entrances, and a telephone number
- The Julia M. Carson Transit Center is a pickup and drop-off location. In most cases, pick-up’s will take place at Bus Bay C.
- Whether or not you will have a personal care attendant (PCA) or companion.
- Riders are allowed one PCA and one companion
per trip if eligible.
- Riders are allowed one PCA and one companion
- Age of any child riding with you on your trip.
Be sure to get your confirmation number(s); each trip is assigned a unique number and you may need this information for future reference.
*Please remember to allow for a 30-minute pick-up window and a ride time comparable to local service to reach each destination.
Interactive Voice Response (IVR) Phone System
IndyGo has an automated information phone line for Open Door customers.
All Open Door customers who have a 317 area code phone number on file will receive automated phone calls the evening before a scheduled trip as a reminder and will have the option to cancel their trip.
A second call will be made 10 minutes prior to a scheduled trip to remind you of your pick-up window. Automated calls will not be made for subscription trips.
You may also access a 24-hour a day information line to review trips for the current calendar week, cancel scheduled trips, and listen to special service messages.
To access the automated line, call Open Door Reservations at 317.917.8747 or Dispatch at 317.917.8758.
The automated system will ask for a client ID and password. The client ID and default password is the 5-digit number on your Open Door ID.
Tickets & Fare
Open Door Rides Cost $3.50 Each Trip
Open Door riders and their companions are expected to pay for every single ride.
Riders must pay exact fare on the bus (Operators do not carry or make change) or present a Flexible Services Single Ride Pass to the Operator.
Only PCA’s (if the certified rider has authorization to travel with a PCA) and children, age 5 or under, may ride for free.
Checks, Medicare, and Medicaid are not accepted as payment on the bus and riders will not be transported if they do not have a pass or fare.
For current fare pricing call Customer Service at 317.635.3344.
- In-person at the Customer Service Center (located in the Transit Center).
- By mailing an order form using a credit card or money order payable to Indianapolis Public Transportation Corporation and sent to the IndyGo Customer Service Center located at the Julia M. Carson Transit Center at 201 E. Washington St., Indianapolis, IN 46204.
- By calling the Customer Service at 317.635.3344 using a Visa or Master Card (this is the only way to purchase taxi vouchers).
Riding Open Door
The bus may arrive up to 5 minutes before and 25 minutes after your scheduled pick-up time.
- For example: If your pick-up time is scheduled for 8:00 AM, the bus may arrive anytime between 7:55 AM and 8:25 AM.
Boarding the Bus
You will be expected to board the bus within five minutes of its arrival time. If you are not on the bus five minutes after its arrival, the Operator will list you as a no show and leave. This is not the case if this occurs before your scheduled pick-up time.
All IndyGo buses are equipped with rider lifts that meet ADA specifications. Open Door Operators can help riders maneuver their mobility aid onto the bus and wheelchair securement area and must
ensure the device is secure before moving the bus.
It’s important to note that you must show your Open Door ID when boarding. Riders without an Open Door ID will not be picked up and the trip will be considered a cancellation at the door.
If you no show or cancel at the door and still need other rides you have scheduled for the same day, please call Dispatch to confirm the remainder of your rides.
You may refuse a ride without penalty if it arrives outside of the 30-minute window.
How to Ride Local Routes
Local Routes are Free for Certified Open Door Riders
Riders may ride local routes for free by showing their valid Open Door ID card to the Operator.
PCA’s can ride on local route with an Open Door rider, but must pay a fare. All IndyGo buses are equipped with rider lifts that meet ADA specifications, which means a mobility aid belonging to any class of 3 or more wheeled devices, usable indoors, designed or modified for, and used by individuals with mobility impairments, whether operated manually or powered.
IndyGo buses are equipped with wheelchair lifts or ramps, along with securement devices. All buses have “kneeling” capability, which lowers the height of the first step onto the bus. Any rider may request the use of the ramps or kneeling function, regardless of ability.
Subscription trips are available if you regularly travel to the same destination (work, church, doctor’s appointment, etc.) from the same location, such as your home, on the same day of the week at least once a week.
An example is making a subscription trip for every Sunday to go to church or every Tuesday and Thursday to go to work.
Once a subscription trip has been reserved, you only have to call to cancel a trip. You may have multiple subscription trips throughout the week.
Subscription trips may not be available for all trip requests and IndyGo reserves the right to limit subscriptions based on federal regulations.
Cancelling Your Trip
IndyGo asks that you cancel your trip at least two hours before your scheduled trip.
- Cancelling your trip that day: Call Dispatch at 317.917.8758.
- Cancelling your trip before the day of: Call Open Door Reservations at 317.917.8747.
Know the Service Suspension Policies associated with cancelling your trip.