INDIANAPOLIS – The Indianapolis 500 Race, related festivities, and Memorial Day holiday will have significant impacts on IndyGo local bus service, interrupting service in the downtown area and west side of Indianapolis.
Street closures will also impact on-time performance for scheduled bus service. IndyGo reminds passengers to allow extra time for travel this Memorial Day weekend.
IPL 500 Festival Parade – Saturday, May 28
The IPL 500 Festival Parade on Saturday, May 28 will close several streets in the downtown area from 4:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. resulting in bus stop closures on:
- Ohio St. from Delaware St. to Illinois.
- Meridian St. from 16th St. to Ohio St
- Pennsylvania St. from 16th St. to Ohio St.
The following bus stops will be open:
- Ohio St. and Capitol Ave. (eastbound and westbound)
- Capitol Ave. and Market St.
- Maryland St. and Pennsylvania St.
- Delaware St. and Market St.
100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 – Sunday, May 29
IndyGo does not offer service to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on race day. Additionally, IndyGo routes 3, 5, 10, 15, 37, and 38 will experience service interruptions due to street closures. Passengers should prepare for the following service changes on Race Day:
- Route 3: All stops on Michigan St., west of Michigan Plaza will be closed.
- Route 5: There will be no service north of 25th and Harding St. from 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Route 10:
- There will be no service north of 10th St. and Lynhurst St. to High School Rd. and Westhaven Dr. from 6:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- There will be no service from Eskenazi to Gateway Dr. and High School Rd. from 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Route 15:
- All stops closed from Cold Spring Rd. to 34th St. and High School Rd. from 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. If traveling to the end of the line outbound, route 15 will service 38th St. from 6:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- All stops closed outbound from 27th St. and MLK Jr. St. to High School Rd. and Gateway Dr.
- Route 37: All stops closed from West St. and Michigan St. to Lafayette Rd. and 38th St.
- Route 38: All stops closed from Shore Terrace Dr. and Eagles Way to Cold Spring Rd. from 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Maps of reroutes are available here. Buses will make regular service stops along detour route. Planned detours may change without notice due to unanticipated closures.
Memorial Day – Monday, May 30
In observance of Memorial Day, IndyGo operations will use a modified schedule:
- Local Fixed Route Service: Operating on a Sunday schedule
- Open Door Paratransit Service: Operating on a Sunday schedule
- Customer Service Call Center: Closed
- Customer Service Retail Center: Closed
- Administrative Office: Closed
If a route does not offer Sunday service, then no service will be available on Memorial Day.
In addition to impacts to the fixed route bus network, IndyGo’s Open Door passengers may encounter street closures and could also see delays and longer travel times. Passengers who are qualified to use the Open Door service and are wishing to book a paratransit trip to or from an area affected by street closures may speak with a reservationist to determine if the origin or destination address is accessible to IndyGo vehicles.
The trip planner at IndyGo.net and route information on Google Maps will not reflect these temporary detours and schedule changes. IndyGo Customer Service is available by phone at 317.635.3344 Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. and Saturdays, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Service updates available online.
IndyGo, the Indianapolis Public Transportation Corporation, provides public transit service throughout Marion County. The Marion County Transit Plan calls for a significant increase in service, offering shorter waits, extended evening hours and weekend service, and three rapid transit lines in high-ridership corridors. Visit our website, follow @IndyGoBus on Twitter, or call 317.635.3344 for more information.